Monday, February 16, 2026
HomeNewsEdo Special Squad Recovers Firearms, Links Oredo Killing to Ticketing Dispute

Edo Special Squad Recovers Firearms, Links Oredo Killing to Ticketing Dispute

 

Kingsley Ohens reporting

Benin City, Nigeria — February 15, 2026

Advertisment

Security operatives in Edo State have recovered firearms and ammunition during coordinated stop-and-search operations across the state, as investigations continue into a recent killing in Oredo Local Government Area.

The operation, conducted by the state’s Special Security Squad under the codename Operation Flush Out Kidnappers and Cultists, followed a directive from Governor Monday Okpebholo after a fatal incident was reported in the early hours of Friday in Eboh Quarters, Estate Gate, within Oredo LGA.

According to Izegaegbe John, Secretary of the Special Security Squad, operatives intensified surveillance and enforcement activities beginning at 6:00 a.m., covering strategic areas of Benin metropolis, including Iriri off Airport Road and the Oluku axis.

During the operation, security personnel recovered a K2 Army magazine loaded with live ammunition from an abandoned vehicle after its occupants reportedly fled upon sighting officers. The vehicle was subsequently secured for further investigation.

John disclosed that the squad had received a distress call at approximately 6:13 a.m. on Friday reporting a killing in the community. Upon arrival, operatives confirmed the death of a man identified as Mr. Courage, popularly known as “Dogo.”

Preliminary findings, according to security officials, indicate that the incident was not cult-related, as initially speculated, but stemmed from a dispute over park ticketing activities. Authorities said that although certain ticketing operations had been banned by the state government, the deceased was allegedly involved in unauthorized ticketing and was accused by associates of failing to properly remit proceeds. The disagreement is believed to have escalated into a conspiracy that led to his death.

Investigators also confirmed that a 9mm Beretta pistol was used in the attack, with spent cartridges recovered at the scene.

The incident reportedly sparked a reprisal attack along Wire Road by individuals who mistakenly believed certain persons were responsible for the initial killing. Security officials have since moved to contain tensions and prevent further escalation.

Several suspects have been arrested and are currently assisting with investigations, authorities said, adding that further arrests are expected.

Reaffirming the state government’s commitment to combating cultism, kidnapping, and other violent crimes, the Special Security Squad assured residents that law enforcement agencies remain fully engaged in maintaining public safety.

Officials have urged members of the public to provide timely and credible information to security agencies, emphasizing that the situation remains under control and that all individuals found culpable will face the full weight of the law.


Discover more from Urbanscoopnews

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

RELATED ARTICLES
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments

Discover more from Urbanscoopnews

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x